Hallmarking in Britain dates back to 1300 and the reign of Edward I. The Tartan Twist hallmark has been created for us by the Edinburgh Assay Office using the world famous castle mark which has been in circulation since 1457.
Each hallmark tells its own story through a series of individual pictures.
- The tt stands for tartan twist and is our maker’s mark.
- The 925 tells of the silver’s purity.
- The Scottish lion rampant is the traditional fineness mark.
- The castle identifies the city in which the piece is hallmarked - in our case Edinburgh.
- The letter represents the year in which the piece was tested and marked.